‘Judge Lewis Kaplan has denied Trumps motion for a mistrial in the E Jean Carroll case. Trump was seeking the mistrial because Carroll deleted messages that she claimed she reviewed. The judge said she had no duty to preserve the evidence because she didn’t decide she was going to sue until meeting with George Conway a month later. Clearly, this entire trial is a tainted joke. Judge Kaplan should’ve recused himself because of his relation with Carrolls attorney, but clearly he just wanted the opportunity to get Trump and didn’t care about fairness and justice. I hope everyone sees this for what it really is. This is nothing more than an attempt to hurt Trump because he dared challenge the system. I hope everyone involved in this joke faces consequences one day. Aren’t we all sick and tired of the justice system being used as a political weapon?’ Travis
They’re desperate to destroy him, as they absolutely do not want him in the race. They know they can’t beat him. So they lie cheat and steal to remain in power. And if they can do that to him, they can do any one of us as well. Think about that- Allen Vincent
On January 19, Trump’s attorney, Alina Habba, asserted that the trial was irreparably damaged due to Carroll’s deletion of key evidence. The alleged death threats, attributed to Trump’s public remarks, were cited by Carroll’s lawyers as a central factor in seeking damages amounting to tens of millions of dollars. Habba filed a motion at the end of January, urging the court to declare a mistrial based on the absence of this critical evidence.
However, in a February 7 order, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan dismissed the motion, stating, “Mr. Trump’s oral motion and his letter motion were denied as lacking any merit.” Attempts to obtain a comment from Trump’s spokesperson were unsuccessful.
Seems ANY woman can accuse ANY man without ANY evidence. If the man defends himself in ANY way, he is guilty of slander for calling her a liar. This is being done to an XPOTUS and leading political rival. November is likely our last stand. LD
🚨🚨🚨MAJOR BREAKING: A federal judge has denied Donald Trump’s motions for a mistrial in the defamation case brought by E. Jean Carroll.
Here’s everything you need to know and it’s even WORSE for Trump than you may have thought.👇
In his decision, Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote… pic.twitter.com/sdvoftsjTR
— CALL TO ACTIVISM (@CalltoActivism) February 7, 2024
Last month, a jury ruled in favor of Carroll, ordering Trump to pay over $83 million in damages for allegedly defaming her when he denied her accusations of sexual assault. Despite maintaining his innocence, Trump plans to appeal the decision, and his attorney, Habba, sought a mistrial based on the missing evidence.
In a letter dated January 19, Habba argued that Carroll failed to preserve crucial evidence by actively deleting messages containing death threats, which she later relied upon to support her damages claim. The letter emphasized the significance of the deletions, asserting that they played a pivotal role in Carroll’s demands for compensation.
Habba urged the judge to either declare a mistrial, preventing Carroll from seeking damages related to the alleged death threats, or include an adverse inference charge instructing the jury to consider the missing evidence against her. However, Judge Kaplan rejected these arguments, noting that the details of the deletions were unclear and that Trump’s legal team failed to prove how the missing messages would have strengthened their defense.
BREAKING: Judge Lewis Kaplan denies Trump’s motion for mistrial in E. Jean Carroll defamation case.
Trump’s lawyer argued for a mistrial when Carroll admitted she deleted text messages she received.
The judge stated that Carroll's admission of deleting messages after making… pic.twitter.com/vVlTSZHmya
— I Meme Therefore I Am 🇺🇸 (@ImMeme0) February 7, 2024
The judge also highlighted that the issue of deletions was raised too late in the proceedings. He argued that even if the court were inclined to grant relief to Trump, a mistrial declaration would not be justified, as the jury had already been instructed to consider Carroll’s deletions during deliberations.
This legal dispute originated from a defamation lawsuit filed by Carroll against Trump in 2019, alleging defamatory comments he made after she accused him of sexual assault. Trump’s denial prompted the lawsuit, which navigated through various courts until reaching a jury trial last month.
Judge criticizes Trump's midtrial mistrial request in E. Jean Carroll defamation case https://t.co/HcwIxDyY2b
— The Associated Press (@AP) February 8, 2024
In 2022, the New York state legislature passed the Adult Survivor Act, allowing victims of certain sexual offenses a one-year window to file civil lawsuits against alleged offenders. Carroll filed a second lawsuit under this act, leading to the recent trial. In May 2023, she was awarded $5 million in damages for defamation and civil battery charges.
Trump continues to deny all allegations, expressing his discontent with the verdict on social media. Apart from the Carroll case, he faces numerous legal challenges, including a substantial number of felony counts across state and federal jurisdictions. Legal expenses in 2023 alone reportedly drained over $47 million from his campaign funds. Additionally, efforts are underway in several states to disqualify him from the ballot under the 14th Amendment, citing his alleged role in inciting the January 6, 2021 Capitol breach. The Deep State is out to get him, and they have the endless resources of our tax dollars for each of their fake attacks. This is all to hurt Trump, election interference in order to help Biden in November. For this, there must be people held accountable or American freedom is gone.
This will be the eventual fate for E. Jean Carroll, too. pic.twitter.com/Tsd4AKvLJz
— Juanita Broaddrick (@atensnut) January 31, 2024
- Be prepared for anything, including lockdowns with your own Emergency Med kit – see Wellness Emergency Kit (includes Ivermectin and other essential drugs – get approved over the phone – Dr. McCullough’s company!) 🛑
- Get the Spike Control formula to help you clean your blood out of spike proteins from the vaccine. Proven to clean blood and save lives. 👍 – Whatfinger Sponsor
Major Points Discussed:
- A federal judge rejected former President Donald Trump’s motion for a mistrial in the E. Jean Carroll defamation case, where Trump argued that the trial was compromised due to the deletion of crucial evidence by Carroll.
- Trump’s attorneys claimed that the trial was ruined when Carroll admitted to deleting emails and social media messages containing death threats, a central element in the case.
- Last month, a jury ruled in favor of Carroll, ordering Trump to pay over $83 million in damages for allegedly defaming her when he denied accusations of sexual assault. Trump plans to appeal the decision.
- U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan rejected Trump’s mistrial request, stating it lacked merit. The judge emphasized that the details of the deletions were unclear, and Trump’s legal team failed to prove how the missing evidence would have strengthened their defense.
- Beyond the Carroll case, Trump faces a myriad of legal issues, including felony counts across state and federal jurisdictions. Legal expenses have significantly impacted his campaign funds, and efforts are underway in multiple states to disqualify him from the ballot, citing his alleged role in inciting the January 6, 2021 Capitol breach.
Comments – Threads – Links
- President Trump wasn’t allowed to use his accuser’s social media posts as evidence in court. The justice system in America is rotten to its core. The public and the jurors should have been able to see how demented the thoughts and mindset of E Jean Carroll truly are. – Laura Loomer see below
President Trump wasn’t allowed to use his accuser’s social media posts as evidence in court.
The justice system in America is rotten to its core. The public and the jurors should have been able to see how demented the thoughts and mindset of E Jean Carroll truly are. pic.twitter.com/RsWywSgbpC
— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) January 31, 2024
- This entire process of the civil trial is disgusting- RareImagery
- Can’t wait to see that judge behind bars- Michael Rizzuto
- It’s such bullshit! I hope karma finds all this corrupt pieces of garbage- Tapper19
- We could turn this into a HUGE victory for the people if 83 million people donated $1 to Trump to show the weaponized judiciary that we are DONE and that tens of millions of people support Trump. Let’s do it- Gina
- That judge needs to be held accountable for his actions which are clearly not fair and balanced. Jail time- A