- According to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) foreign affairs ministry, four commercial ships were targeted as part of a “sabotage attack” near the Strait of Hormuz, but no casualties were reported.
- Two Saudi oil tankers received “significant damage,” according to Saudi Arabia. One vessel was registered to Norway and the other connected to the UAE.
- Iran has ordered a full investigation since it borders the Strait of Hormuz.
- The area has experienced rising tensions, which sees about 1/5 of the world’s oil passing through.
- Iran threatened to close the strait last month if the country wasn’t allowed to use the waterway.
- Recently, the U.S. ended exemptions for countries who continue to purchase Iranian oil.
- The U.S. has also sent warships to the area recently.