- The Trump administration invoked its executive privilege to prevent the release of the full, un-redacted Mueller report, defying orders from House Democrats.
- This latest move challenges House Democrats as they convene to vote on whether to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt for not complying with orders to hand over the full report.
- Tensions have continued to rise between House Democrats and President Trump since the release of the Mueller report into possible Trump-Russian collusion into the 2016 presidential election. The report found nobody in the Trump administration colluded with the Russians.
- The Democrats and Trump are at odds over Congress’ power to investigate Trump and his administration, along with his and his family’s business interests.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Trump is obstructing lawmakers’ investigative abilities by not complying with subpoenas.
- Pelosi said of Trump, “Every single day the president is making the case. He’s becoming self-impeachable.”
- Executive privilege has been used by presidents to prevent other branches of government from “getting access to information about internal executive branch information.”