- In a long-awaited announcement, Apple is breaking iTunes into three separate, Mac-friendly apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV for TV and movies.
- Ushering in the digital revolution, iTunes was launched in 2001 to allow users to listen to songs, manage their media library and purchase new content.
- iTunes is also credited with helping slow the tide of piracy when users were illegally downloading music via peer-to-peer file-sharing that almost decimated the music industry hard.
- iTunes was also integral to the rise of the iPod.
- Ove the years, iTunes allowed users to go beyond music into TV, books, movies, podcasts and audiobooks.
- With the addition of all the new content, some users accused iTunes of becoming too complicated, which prompted Apple to first launch Apple Music in 2015.