Planned Parenthood Will No Longer Participate in Federal Family Planning Program to Skirt Trump Administration’s Abortion Rule

  • Rather than comply with the Trump administration’s abortion rule, Planned Parenthood announced on Monday that it will no longer participate in the federal family planning program.
  • Under the Trump administration, clinics that refer women to get abortions aren’t eligible to receive federal funding under Title X.
  • Planned Parenthood’s acting president and CEO Alexis McGill Johnson said “the organization’s nationwide network of health centers would remain open and strive to make up for the loss of federal money.”
  • However, “she predicted that many low-income women who rely on Planned Parenthood services would delay or go without care.”
  • Johnson said: “We will not be bullied into withholding abortion information from our patients. Our patients deserve to make their own health care decisions, not to be forced to have Donald Trump or Mike Pence make those decisions for them.”
  • In response, the Department of Health and Human Services remarked “that Planned Parenthood affiliates knew months ago about the new restrictions and suggested that the group could have chosen at that point to exit the program.”
  • DHHS said: “Some grantees are now blaming the government for their own actions — having chosen to accept the grant while failing to comply with the regulations that accompany it — and they are abandoning their obligations to serve patients under the program.”
  • Additionally, “Maine Family Planning, which is unaffiliated with Planned Parenthood, also released its letter of withdrawal Monday. The National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, an umbrella group for family planning clinics, is suing to overturn the regulations.”
  • According to statistics, “about 4 million women are served nationwide under the Title X program, which distributes $260 million in grants to clinics. Planned Parenthood says it has served about 40% of patients.”
  • A San Francisco federal appeals court “is weighing a lawsuit to overturn the rules, but so far the court has allowed the administration to go ahead with enforcement. Oral arguments are scheduled the week of Sept. 23.”
  • The American Medical Association and several states are named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit while activists are urging Congress to overturn the rule.
  • The Trump administration set Monday as the deadline “for program participants to submit statements that they intended to comply with the new rules, along with a plan. Enforcement will start Sept. 18.”

Reference Links

  • Politico: Planned Parenthood pulls out of family planning program over Trump abortion rule READ
  • U.S. News & World Report: Planned Parenthood Rejects Title X Funding READ
  • Reuters: Planned Parenthood turns down U.S. subsidies in fight over abortion referrals READ
  • AP: Planned Parenthood leaves federal family planning program READ

3 Comments

  1. This means that private donors will be financing the murder of babies, rather than the Federal Government. Donors names cannot remain private because this is the same as a donation to the Democrat Party

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*